Our spanakopita recipe features layers of crispy, flaky phyllo pastry, filled with a savory mixture of micro kale, baby bok choy, feta cheese, onions, and herbs. This classic dish is loved for its delicate layers of pastry and bold and flavorful filling and is a staple in Greek cuisine. Spanakopita is often served as an appetizer or side dish and can be enjoyed hot or cold. It’s perfect for parties and gatherings, as it can be made in advance and reheated just before serving.
INGREDIENTS:½ cup AeroFarms Micro Kale 3 cups AeroFarms Baby Bok Choy 20 sheets phyllo dough (defrosted) ½ cup butter (melted, plus more for sautéing) ½ white onion (chopped) 1½ cups Feta cheese (crumbled) 3 cloves garlic (minced) ½ cup parsley ½ tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 1 tsp fresh dill (chopped) ½ tsp salt sesame seeds
INSTRUCTIONS:𝗣𝗿𝗲𝗽𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗙𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Unfold the thawed phyllo dough and cover with a damp towel. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring regularly, until they turn translucent (about 5 minutes).
4. Next, add the minced garlic and dill. Cook the mixture until it is caramelized and soft, about 5 more minutes.
5. Add AeroFarms Baby Bok Choy and Micro Kale to the same skillet, and cook until the greens are wilted.
6. Add the parsley, lemon juice, ground pepper, and feta cheese to the skillet and stir to distribute the mixture evenly. Set aside.
𝗔𝘀𝘀𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗧𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗹𝗲𝘀
7. Roll out the phyllo pastry and cut into 3” wide strips lengthwise using a pizza cutter. Cover the dough with a damp towel.
8. Place 1 layer of pastry on a clean surface and brush it with a small amount of butter using a pastry brush. Place a second layer of pastry directly on top of the first and brush that with a small amount of butter.
9. In one corner, place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling and form into a triangle.
10. Fold the corner of the pasty with the filling over to reach the nearest opposite edge of the pastry. Continue folding the triangle upward until you reach the top.
11. Place the triangle on the prepared baking sheet, brush with butter, sprinkle with sesame seeds and cover with a damp towel. Repeat the above steps until you have filled the tray.
12. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.