The star of the sandwich is the broccoli rabe, a bitter and slightly nutty green that is cooked to perfection, providing a lovely texture and a burst of flavor. The greens are complemented by a sweet and tangy tomato jam, which adds a lovely depth of flavor to the dish. The mozzarella cheese provides a creamy and salty contrast to the other ingredients, melting in your mouth and providing a delicious and indulgent finish. The sandwich is built on a hearty and crusty bread, which provides the perfect base for the flavorful ingredients. This sandwich is perfect for a quick and easy lunch but can also be enjoyed as a hearty dinner or a weekend brunch. Whether you’re a vegetarian or simply looking for a delicious and healthy meal, this double broccoli sandwich topped with broccoli microgreens is sure to delight your taste buds and leave you feeling satisfied and fulfilled.
INGREDIENTS:1 container AeroFarms Micro Broccoli 8 slices seeded sourdough (sliced ½ inch thick) 1 bunch broccoli rabe 2 tbsp olive oil 2 tbsp garlic (chopped) 12 slices whole milk mozzarella 𝗧𝗼𝗺𝗮𝘁𝗼 𝗝𝗮𝗺: 2 cups heirloom tomatoes (large dice) 1 tbsp olive oil 2 tbsp sherry vinegar ½ tbsp Dijon mustard ½ tbsp sugar pinch of salt pinch of red pepper flakes
1. Prepare the tomato jam by chopping the heirloom tomatoes into chunks.
2. In a medium sized pot, add olive oil and heat up over medium high heat.
3. Add the tomatoes to the pot along with the sherry vinegar, Dijon mustard, sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes if you like some spice.
4. Continue to cook for 10 minutes stirring often to make sure it does not burn. The sauce will reduce, and the tomatoes should break down into a jammy like sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Set aside and chill until ready to assemble.
5. In a large pot add water so that the pot is 3/4 of the way full. Season the water with salt. Prepare an ice bath.
6. Once the water is at a rolling boil add the broccoli rabe and cook for 35 seconds.
7. Remove the broccoli rabe from the boiling water and plunge into ice bath.
8. Once it is cold, squeeze out the excess water and pat dry.
9. Chop the broccoli rabe into 1-inch pieces.
10. In a sauté pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat up over medium high heat.
11. Add the chopped garlic and stir often until aromatic. Add broccoli rabe to the pan and sauté.
12. On one side of the sliced bread, spread on the tomato jam evenly. Top with the sautéed broccoli rabe and then add a handful of AeroFarms Micro Broccoli and an even layer of whole milk mozzarella.
13. Add tomato jam to the second slice of bread and sandwich together. Enjoy this sandwich un-toasted or toast it in a pan with olive oil or butter or even a panini press.