There’s nothing better than a warm bowl of savory ramen to soothe a cold winter night. Try this easy, soothing mushroom ramen for a major boost of TLC and plant-powered antioxidants from mushrooms and fresh baby greens, as well as fiber from gluten-free noodles. Enjoy the recipe as is, or add an egg or chicken breast for an extra boost of protein!
INGREDIENTS:3 cups AeroFarms Baby Bok Choy 1 cup AeroFarms Micro Spicy Mix 1 oz dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms 1 shallot (chopped) 4 cloves garlic (chopped) 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock (prepared fresh or pre-packaged) 3 tbsp miso 2-3 tbsp Tamari or Liquid Aminos (to taste) 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms of choice (white button, shiitake, etc) 6 oz gluten-free brown rice or buckwheat ramen noodles roasted seaweed to top (optional) sesame oil to top (optional) sriracha to top (optional) sesame seeds to top (optional) soft boiled egg to top (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS:1. Combine 1 cup hot water with dried mushrooms. Stir and set aside to steep.
2. Separately, in a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Then add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in vegetable broth and bring to boil.
3. Strain out the rehydrated dried mushrooms, but save the remaining liquid in a separate jar or bowl. Chop the rehydrated mushrooms and add to the bowl of liquid. Add miso and tamari to the mushroom liquid and whisk until smooth.
4. Pour mushroom miso mixture into the pot with broth. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
5. Bring separate small pot of salt-water to a boil over medium heat. Add the ramen noodles and cook as directed on the package. Once al-dente, strain, and set aside.
6. Turn heat off broth once ready to serve. Prepare 4 large soup bowls. Add a heaping handful of baby greens, followed by ramen noodles.
7. Add broth into bowls. Serve warm, topping with sesame seeds, a few drops sesame oil, roasted seaweed, sriracha. Add a shelled, soft-boiled egg to top for an extra boost of protein!